Manheim Township (Lancaster County, PA) a community of 44,000+ residents in 24 square miles are seeking a dynamic individual to serve on the Command Staff within the division of Manheim Township Fire Rescue (MTFR) as a Shift Captain responsible for performing company level officer duties.
- Effectively manage the scene of fire and rescue emergencies in coordination with career and volunteer officers; respond to emergency incidents and assume command in the absence of career and volunteer chief officers; participate in the incident management structure in coordination with career and volunteer officers at their discretion.
- Coordinates and supervises the activities of a single company and/or an entire shift.
- Ability to observe and report fire safety complaints and deficiencies in accordance with approved codes; ability to take corrective action to correct or eliminate the deficiency; ability to coordinate with Code Compliance office for enforcement actions.
- Performs related management duties as required.
Click here to view the Fire Captain Job Description
Click here to view the Fire Captain Recruitment Announcement
Required Experience, Training, and Education
Applicants for the position of Fire Captain shall have:
- Minimum of four (4) Years of Service with the Fire Rescue Department, including two (2) years at the rank of Lieutenant, or six (6) Years of Service with another municipal Fire Rescue Department.
- Current and valid Emergency Medical Technician certification issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Health or National Registry.
- National Certifications in Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Driver Operator – Pumper, Driver-Operator – Aerial Device, Driver Operator – Tiller, Fire Officer I, and Fire Officer II.
- Successfully completed Incident Command System 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800.
- Associate degree in Fire Science or must have completed eight (8) Years of continuous Service with a municipal fire rescue department on the date of the examination.
- Satisfactory evaluation for the year preceding the examination.
- Valid driver’s license at time of hire, must be maintained throughout employment.
Civil Service Employment Requirements
The comprehensive Civil Service testing process for eligible candidates will consist of a written examination, physical ability test (CPAT), and oral interview.
- Written Civil Service Examination – Wednesday, April 13, 2022, at 1800 hours (6:00 pm) in the MTFR Training Room, 200 East Oregon Road, Lititz, PA 17543.
- CPAT orientation sessions will be administered on April 11, 2022, and April 13, 2022.
- CPAT timed practice sessions will be administered on April 25, 2022, and May 7, 2022.
- CPAT final session date is May 31, 2022.
- ALL CPAT sessions are completed at the Lancaster County Public Safety Training Center, 101 Champ Boulevard, Manheim, PA 17545.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary range will be $60,000.00- $65,000.00 annually depending upon the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience which includes participation in a defined contribution plan, voluntary participation is available in a 457-contribution plan, paid time off, as well as medical, vision, dental, short/long term disability, and life insurance with minimal employee contribution. The preferred candidate will be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug/alcohol screening, motor vehicle check, pre-employment medical evaluation, and a pre-employment psychological evaluation.
Interested and qualified applicants may apply by completing the application process:
- Application forms are available at the Manheim Township Municipal Office, 1840 Municipal Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601 or online at www.manheimtownship.org.
- All application packets must be marked “Fire Captain Application” and must be mailed or delivered to
Attn: Fire Chief
1840 Municipal Drive
Lancaster, PA 17601
Click here to view and print the Fire Captain Application.
3. Deadline for applying is no later than 1600 hours (4:00 pm) on Friday, March 25, 2022.
4. Applications will not be received at any location other than the address listed above.
All applications received will be reviewed by Manheim Township to determine eligibility based on the established preferred requirements. All applicants will be notified by mail or electronic email as to their status in the selection process.
Questions on this recruitment announcement can be directed to the Manheim Township Fire Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org
Manheim Township Civil Service Commission
Manheim Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer