Manheim Township (Lancaster County, PA) a community of 44,000+ residents in 24 square miles are seeking to hire a highly qualified and motivated individual to fill the position of Fire Marshal within the Manheim Township Fire Rescue (MTFR) system. The position responsibilities include:
- Fire Investigations
- Fire Code Enforcement, Inspections, and Plan Review
- Fire Prevention and Education
The Fire Marshal will conduct systematic and thorough investigations of all incidents relating to fire origin, cause, and coordination with law enforcement agencies. In addition, the Fire Marshal will enforce the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Uniform Construction Code (UCC) and assist with code enforcement within Manheim Township.
The Fire Marshal will inspect existing properties for compliance to the code and work closely with other municipal officials in project development and site meetings, plan review, and inspection of new construction projects.
The Fire Marshal will provide inspections on existing buildings, issue fire code permits, and complete annual inspections of facilities based upon daily scheduling and daily complaints.
Click here to view the Fire Marshal job description.
Click here to view the Fire Marshal announcement.
Required Experience, Training, and Education
Applicants for the position of Fire Marshal shall have:
- Minimum of two (2) Years of Service with Manheim Township Fire Rescue or (4) Years of Service as a Firefighter, Fire Marshal, Assistant Fire Marshal, or combination thereof, with an equivalent organization such as a municipal fire department, municipal safety and health department, municipal code inspection or compliance department, municipal fire marshal’s office, municipal or state law enforcement agency.
- Associate Degree preferred, in a related field; or any equivalent combination of experience, education and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work this determination will be at the sole direction of Manheim Township.
- Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry Fire Inspector license (or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire).
- NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector I (or ability to obtain within 90 days of fire; ability to obtain Fire Inspector II within 12 months of hire).
- NFPA 1031 Fire Plans Examiner I (or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire)
- NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator (or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire)
- NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II (Preferred)
- NFPA 1041 Fire Instructor I or equivalent (Preferred)
- NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I or equivalent (Preferred)
- NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800 (300 and 400 preferred, or must obtain within 24 months of hire)
- Satisfactory evaluation for the year preceding the examination
- Valid driver’s license at time of hire, must be maintained throughout employment
Civil Service Employment Requirements
The comprehensive selection process for candidates most closely meeting the experience, training, and educational preferences listed above, will include an oral interview. A non-competitive civil service examination will be administered to the final candidate and will require a successful score of 70% or above in order to receive a final offer for the position.
- Written Civil Service Examination – Wednesday, April 13, 2022, at 1800 hours (6:00 pm) in the MTFR Training Room, 200 East Oregon Road, Lititz, PA 17543.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary range will be $65,000.00- $70,000.00 annually depending upon the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience which includes participation in a defined contribution plan, voluntary participation is available in a 457-contribution plan, paid time off, as well as medical, vision, dental, short/long term disability, and life insurance with minimal employee contribution. The preferred candidate will be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug/alcohol screening, motor vehicle check, pre-employment medical evaluation, and a pre-employment psychological evaluation.
Interested and qualified applicants may apply by completing the application process:
- Application forms are available at the Manheim Township Municipal Office, 1840 Municipal Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601 or online at www.manheimtownship.org.
- All application packets must be marked “Fire Marshal Application” and must be mailed or delivered to:
Attn: Fire Chief
1840 Municipal Drive
Lancaster, PA 17601
Click here to view and print the Fire Marshal Application.
3. Deadline for applying is no later than 1600 hours (4:00 pm) on Friday, March 25, 2022.
4. Applications will not be received at any location other than the address listed above.
All applications received will be reviewed by Manheim Township to determine eligibility based on the established preferred requirements. All applicants will be notified by mail or electronic email as to their status in the selection process.
Questions on this recruitment announcement can be directed to the Manheim Township Fire Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org
Manheim Township Civil Service Commission
Manheim Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer