How do my neighbors and I close our street for a block party?

The first step in preparing for a block party is to contact the Manheim Township Police Department with a petition signed by a majority of your neighbors agreeing to hold a block party on your street. This will be one of the first questions the police will ask. This contact should be made at lease a month in advance of the block party. Most block parties do not technically "close" streets. Neighbors that live on the block are usually free to enter and exit the street to get to their homes. If a UPS truck needs to get in, the street typically is still "open" and the vehicle enters slowly and carefully and then moves on. A block party is more about slowing or limiting movements on the street. For safety reasons for limiting or slowing vehicles moving on the street, you and your neighbors may desire to place barricades or cones on your street. These are available at the Township Public Works Department. When you have notified the Police Department of your event with the petition, you may call the PW Department at 569-6406 Ext 1129 and request the barricades and cones suitable for your needs. The Township has a very modest charge for the rental of barricades and cones per event ($10 per barricade, $1 per cone, 10% administrative fee). These items will be delivered to your street and picked up after the party.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call if a street light is out on our street?
2. How can I obtain a recycling bin for our home?
3. What are the rules for putting my garbage cans out?
4. How do I sign up for news and alert notifications?
5. When will my street be cleaned?
6. What do I do if I have brown water?
7. Do I need a permit to re-pave my driveway?
8. Where do I go to file a complaint against my utility company?
9. What is the Township doing to help residents with downed tree branches after storms?
10. Can a property owner discharge a foundation drain/sump pump onto a public street?
11. What are some techniques to use in discouraging skunks in my yard or neighborhood?
12. How do I protect my pet from skunks in our yard and neighborhood?
13. Do you have any information on the PPL's Transmission Line Vegetation Management program?
14. Why is PPL Inc. cutting trees and vegetation in its easements and rights-of-way?
15. How will I know when PPL Inc. is coming to do work on trees and vegetation in our area?
16. Is PPL Inc. using herbicides when it is maintaining vegetation near its lines and rights-of way?
17. Is PPL Inc. using the same herbicides on land as it does in water?
18. Why does PPL Inc. sometimes leave cut trees in the right of way?
19. Are farmers permitted to grow crops under a PPL Inc. transmission line?
20. What do I need to do to reduce mosquitoes, bites and the threat of West Nile Virus on our property?
21. Does PPL inc. compensate people for trees they cut down?
22. Do I get free bags for leaves if I live on a State Road?
23. Where can I pick up free leaf bags for my home since I live on a state road?
24. Can I put paper yard bags with whole leaves out and along my street for the Township to pickup?
25. Does the Township have a "call in" yard waste bag pickup service for leaves?
26. Where do I call if I have a flickering lights or a power outage?
27. What can we do about hundreds or thousands of crows roosting on our property?
28. How do my neighbors and I close our street for a block party?
29. What should I do during a drinking water advisory?
30. Do I need approval or a permit to cut down a tree in the public right-of-way?
31. How long do I have to remove snow?
32. When will my street be cleaned?