It is unlawful for any individual to solicit funds, peddle, canvass, or take orders either by sample or otherwise, for any goods, wares or merchandise, upon any street, alley, sidewalk or public place, or from house to house in the township without first obtaining a license from the Township Police Department. However, the Township has authorized exemptions from the license for the following:
(1) Farmers selling their own products;
(2) Persons soliciting funds or selling goods, wares or merchandise, donated by the owner thereof, where the funds or the proceeds of sale are to be applied exclusively for a charitable purpose;
(3) Representatives and members of Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, Lions, Rotary, Kiwanis, American Association of Retired Persons, Disabled American Veterans, Y.W.C.A. and Y.M.C.A., Y.W.H.A. and Y.M.H.A., Red Cross, Salvation Army and other national and international service organizations and associations existing for the benefit of youth, aged, handicapped or stricken and soliciting or selling for the purpose of self perpetuation and who may be registered as charitable organizations with the State or Federal Government;
(4) Manufacturers or producers of bread and bakery products, meat and meat products, or milk or milk products, who sell their own products;
(5) Insurance and real estate agents and brokers licenses by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
(6) Individuals distributing sales literature "door hangings" if there is no attempt to contact the home or business occupant.
If you see suspicious door to door sales or have a question about a door to door solicitation, please contact the MT Police Department non-emergency dispatch at 664-1180.