- Feature Links
- About Manheim Township
About Manheim Township
Manheim Township was established as one of Lancaster County’s first Townships in 1729. The Township is and remains the only First Class Township in Lancaster County.
Today, the Township is a full service community that operates under the "council/manager" form of government and provides its citizens with public safety, recreation and administrative services and a variety of community programs and public facilities.
The Township is located in central Lancaster County and occupies approximately 22.6 square miles and is roughly 7.5 miles wide and 3.2 miles long. The Township is situated immediately north of the City of Lancaster, which serves as the County seat of government. The Township's east and west boundaries are generally determined by natural features, the Conestoga River and Little Conestoga Creek respectfully, whereas the northern and southern boundaries are man-made lines. Annexation of land by the City of Lancaster beginning in 1931 and ending in 1952 has resulted in a very irregular southern boundary that includes "islands" of Township land area completely surrounded by Lancaster City.
In addition to the City of Lancaster, Manheim Township is contiguous to Warwick Township to the north, West Earl Township to the northeast, Upper Leacock Township and East Lampeter Township to the east, Lancaster Township to the southeast and southwest, East Hempfield Township and East Petersburg Borough to the west, and Penn Township to the northwest.
We hope this collection of links can help you enjoy our community to the fullest.