- Code Compliance
- Commercial Construction Permits
- Commercial Plumbing / Mechanical Permits
Commercial Plumbing/Mechanical Permits
Alterations to an existing structure and/or change of current use of space within a structure may require a building permit or an over-the-counter permit.
- Building Permit Required: Structural alterations with new openings in bearing walls, moving of interior structural members, changing the layout of interior spaces, changing the use of interior spaces.
- Plumbing/Mechanical Permit Required: When the scope of the proposed project does not include any structural changes or change in use, but does include plumbing and/or mechanical work, then a Plumbing/Mechanical Permit (PDF) is required.
- Plumbing work includes, but is not limited to the installation or replacement of:
- water heater
- water distribution lines
- sewage drain lines
- sewage ejector pumps
- sump pumps
- bathtub/shower mixing valves
- whirlpool/jetted bathtubs
- Lawn irrigation systems or components
- With the exception of a new electrical service, new electrical work can be included under a Plumbing/Mechanical Permit. If a new electrical service is to be installed, a separate over-the-counter Commercial Electrical Permit (PDF) is required
- Mechanical work includes, but is not limited to the installation or replacement of:
- Boiler (under 199,000 BTU) For boilers over 199,000 BTU, PA Department of Labor and Industry Permit and Approvals are needed
- Heat Pump
- Air Conditioning Unit
- Fireplace Inserts
- Gas Log Sets
- New Natural Gas Lines or Extensions of Natural Gas Lines
- The permit fee, due at time of application, is based on the dollar value of the project. Review page 4 of the Building Permit Fee Schedule (PDF) for plumbing/mechanical permit fee information.
- Either the property owner or agent of the owner (i.e. contractor) can make application for a Plumbing/Mechanical Permit.
- A Plumbing/Mechanical Permit is valid for six months from date of issuance.
- All new work is subject to field inspection and approval prior to concealment and when work is completed. All inspections are performed by our staff. To schedule inspections contact the Code Compliance Department
- If you are unsure what, if any, type of permit your project will require, please contact the Code Compliance Department prior to the commencement of any work.