PA Act 43 of 2017 Fireworks Law
on October 30, 2017, PA Act 43 of 2017 Fireworks Law went into effect in Pennsylvania. The law defines consumer fireworks and display fireworks. Pennsylvania State law prohibits the use Display Fireworks in Pennsylvania without a permit.
Any combustible or explosive composition or any substance or combination of substances which is intended to produce visible or audible effects by combustion, is suitable for use by the public, complies with the construction, performance, composition and labeling requirements promulgated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission in 16 CFR (relating to commercial practices) or any successor regulation and complies with the provisions for "consumer fireworks" as defined in APA 87-1 or any successor standard, the sale, possession and use of which shall be permitted throughout this Commonwealth.
Use of Consumer Fireworks
(a) Conditions.--A person who is at least 18 years of age and meets the requirements of this article may purchase, possess and use consumer fireworks.
(b) Prohibitions.--A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge:
(1) Consumer fireworks on public or private property without the express permission of the owner.
(2) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices within, or throw consumer fireworks or sparkling devices from, a motor vehicle or building.
(3) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices into or at a motor vehicle or building or at another person.
(4) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance or another drug.
(5) Consumer fireworks within 150 feet of an occupied structure.
The following shall apply:
(1) A person using consumer fireworks in violation of the provisions of this article commits a summary offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100.
(2) A person selling consumer fireworks in violation of the provisions of this act commits a misdemeanor of the second degree.
(3) A person selling display fireworks in violation of the provisions of this act commits a felony of the third degree.
(4) A person selling federally illegal explosives such as devices as described in 49 CFR 173.54 (relating to forbidden explosives) or those devices that have not been tested, approved and labeled by the United States Department of Transportation, including, but not limited to, those devices commonly referred to as "M-80," "M-100," "blockbuster," "cherry bomb" or "quarter or half stick" explosive devices, in violation of the provisions of this act commits a felony of the third degree.
Sale of Consumer Fireworks
Large fireworks to be used solely by professional pyrotechnicians and designed primarily to produce visible or audible effects by combustion, deflagration or detonation. The term includes, but is not limited to:
(1) salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials;
(2) aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions; and
(3) other display pieces that exceed the limits of explosive materials for classification as consumer fireworks and are classified as fireworks UN0333, UN0334 or UN0335 under 49 CFR 172.101 (relating to purpose and use of hazardous materials table).
Display Firework Permit Requirements
A fire permit is needed for display firework events in Manheim Township. Review the attached
- Complete the Fire Permit Application
- Review the Fireworks Permit Submittal Checklist for submission requirements
- Review and submit the Display Fireworks Hold Harmless Agreement
- Submit the completed Permit Application and applicable fee in person or via first class mail to the Code Compliance Department
- Review Ordinance 2018-3 Fireworks for specific rules and regulations concerning display fireworks permit and inspection requirements
- There are no permits required for consumer fireworks and all complaints and inquires concerning consumer fireworks are to be directed to the Manheim Township Police Department.
- Contact Andy Bowman, Director of Code Compliance, with questions concerning display fireworks and display fireworks permits.